Wednesday, November 15, 2006

My name is Paul. I play World of Warcraft. (hi, Paul)

In an effort not to appear as a total nerd when people find out I play this game, I tell them "It's like a really advanced chat room, where you get to kill stuff". Okay, that just sounds plain dumb. Better thought dumb than nerdy, right?

Seriously, though, I play "WoW" online with my wife, my brother, his wife, my father-in-law, my sister-in-law, and several friends in town. We are all in a group called a guild*, and we chat it up while slaying (and being slain by) the denizens of Azeroth. With over 7 kajillion people playing this game all over the world, you get some interesting memorable moments, and members of my family and friends enjoy this nonsense together. We poke fun at each other a lot, too. Take for instance, an in-game quote from a not-to-be-named female player, masquerading as a Warrior:

"I can't wear that! It won't match my pants!"

Ah, the tough life of a warrior...assuring that one goes into battle in proper fashion.

The traits of each player's real-life person comes out in their alter-ego in very humorous ways. Ever see an elf flirt with a gnome? I have. Ever hear someone tell you that your brother's armor shows too much cleavage? I have. Ever been glad to see a loved one eaten by a dragon? I have**.

There are also moments of marriage therapy:
Warrior: "Why didn't you heal me?!?"
Priest: "I was being eaten by a large dinosaur! Where WERE you?!?"
Warrior: "Beating on three plant-thingies and a giant lizard, DYING."
Priest: "You're supposed to PROTECT ME."
Priest: "you said you'd always protect me."
Warrior: "..."

And to make the nerdiness complete, we take screenshots of our adventures and set them on our computer monitors as desktops or email them for kicks. People drop by my monitor, point at the various assortment of elves, gnomes, dwarves, and humanoids and ask "What is THAT?". I can proudly tell them, "My family."

---
*A guild is a WoW term for a gathering of nerds.
**We were running from the dragon at the time. I ran faster.

2 Comments:

At November 16, 2006 7:30 AM, Blogger Jules said...

LOL Great now I have to enter an anonymous relocation program!But I was really glad it wasn't ME that you were happy to see eaten by a dinosaur.;) hee hee

 
At November 22, 2006 12:48 PM, Blogger PiperMatt said...

Alright... I played the WoW beta, but was into Star Wars Galaxies with a friend at the time, so we didn't stick with WoW once the beta ended. Once SOE ruined SWG (quite a while ago), we quit.

I just downloaded the WoW 10 day free trial... it's installing now. Server?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home