Saturday, November 11, 2006

A friend of mine, Mike, recently came back from military duty in Iraq. I went to his house on Halloween, and our families chatted for a few minutes as Mike and I filled up some pumpkin-colored trash bags with leaves in order to place them on display in front of the house. He had worn his uniform for the trick-or-treaters, and I asked him about the meaning of the various medallions and markers the military had awarded him. He told me of one he got for jumping out of planes, another for something else I can't remember offhand, and a third he said for combat, "Basically for getting blown up and shot at". I shook his hand, hugged him, looked him in the eye and said "I have no frame of reference, but thank you. Thank you."

It is hard to know what to say to someone when they lose a loved one, and for some reason, this moment was similar. I couldn't say "I understand how you feel". I don't. I can't comprehend it. I appreciate it, though, and I let him know it.

I think everyone should let them know it.

1 Comments:

At November 13, 2006 12:48 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

I agree. Thank you, Mike, and everyone who puts their lives on hold so that mine can go on unimpeded. I am so thankful for the sacrifices of our troops, both those abroad and at home. They are fighting for something good and noble and right, and we should let them know that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home