Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Whenever I shop for computer parts or electronic gadgets, I will spend an insane amount of time researching the good, bad, and ugly of a product. I will have several browser windows open on the computer, all with a puzzlillion* tabs holding all sorts of price comparisons, reviews, benchmarks, forums. It is very fun, and is essentially like shopping in real life, only fewer calories are burned. I actually gain weight, as I must eat at the keyboard to maintain my mental acuity. Eventually, I settle on the right product or products and pull the trigger on the purchase.

Afterwards, I don't look at any ads or prices for the purchased items for at least two months. It is far too depressing to see the speedy depreciation of electronics. Our first computer purchase was around $2,750. Within 30 days, the computer world had a paradigm shift and my computer was licking the boots of the next best thing (for the same price).

My method of online shopping madness?
+ Deal Headlines:
Dealnews (and coupons)
Techbargains
Dealcatcher
XPBargains
SlickDeals
FatWallet

+ Others
ZipZoomFly - Free FedEX on a lot of items.
Mwave - Cheap, fast, reliable.
Geeks - Mishmash of cheap prices, cool people
Newegg - Cheap, fast, reliable. Lots of user reviews. Easy to find items.
Bottomdollar - Helps to find places that sell an item. Buyer beware.
CNet Reviews - Simple reviews, but often have video to help see the products.

---

*It's a number. My daughter made it up. I think it is a lot.

1 Comments:

At January 17, 2007 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love shopping for computer parts too. Usually, I just visit boddit.com when I need information about deals because it's a streaming feed of the latest deals from all the big sites you mentioned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home