Friday, January 19, 2007

People are debating whether or not Microsoft's new Windows Vista is better than Apple's OS X.

Both can do many of the same functions. It comes down to what you are comfortable with, and how secure it can keep you.

Many people are missing out on the personal accountability each owner has in making these products good or not. If I buy a door from Home Depot because they say it is a strong, secure door that can take a beating, whose fault is it if I leave the door unlocked and get robbed? We learn to lock the door.

On personal computers, a lot of people are assuming that all the security features have to come from the maker of the products. Sure, they need to work to make hardened operating systems, but c'mon! At some point, people have to realize that installing every piece of junkware that looks cool on softpedia.com isn't always the best for their home computer. Somewhere along the line, we have to come to grips with the fact that there are websites out there that are malicious in nature and can cause harm to the computer. Also, why do individuals feel compelled to open attachments on emails from people they have never heard of?!?

My name is Paul, and I have infected my computer with a virus at home ONCE. Ever.

---

3 Comments:

At January 20, 2007 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, It's Shaun here. In spite of my mac favorability I would have to agree that PC and Mac both have their own merits and the user is often the virus that waylays most computers in spite of the best efforts of software engineers to save people. Catch ya on the flip flop!

 
At January 21, 2007 4:57 PM, Blogger Chris Shelly said...

I am a PC user mainly b/c that is what we have at work. I havent been on a Mac in years. But I totally agree... and "PC" is only as good at the person at the keyboard. All the secuirty audits we have had at work... I am a BIG stickler on that.. and about 4-5 times a year someone gets a email thru the email scanner and some idiot opens the attachment (like you said Paul from someone they have never heard of) and then complain when they cant play on the internet for 2-3 days while I rebuild the thing.

 
At January 22, 2007 2:21 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

So true. And you're a good teacher. I, too, have a nearly virus-free history, thanks to your tutelage, and even Katie knows not to click on a pop-up window or okay any unauthorized downloads. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home