Monday, September 12, 2005

Cool tools:

I tell you what: I LOVE freeware tools on my PC. I have a folder added to my system's path that I dump all my cool utilities into so that I can call them from the RUN box or a command line. I think I started picking them up when I started scripting. The little apps made it simpler to do my job. I make no warranty as to their usage or effectiveness. Use at your own risk. :D



The tools in my path:
Unix Utils - Unix commands for Windows. Grep is your friend.
AutoRuns - Digs DEEP to reveal what starts up in Windows.
Process Explorer - Shows process trees in memory. Great spyware revealer.
PSTools - Amazing compliation. Great tools for remote admins.
CLInstalled - Shows what is installed. Useful with pstools to see remote installs.
NBTScan - Scans a specified subnet to show NetBIOS names and logins. Handy.
Putty - Telnet and SSH client. Many options. Kerberos mods exist, too.
Metapad - Feature-rich text editor. Supports transparency and stay-on-top mode.

The Apps not in my path, but worth installing:
Irfanview - Can open just about any image. Be sure to get the plugin pack (free).
Audacity - Music program. Multiple tracks, simple editing, moderate conversion abilities.
dbPowerAmp - Right-click to convert music! Be sure to download a free mp3 codec there.
Hotkey Helper - Tray app to hold custom hotkeys. I use it to play funny audio clips on demand.
Quickplay - Plays wav files and then closes. Handy with Hotkey Helper to hotkey instant fun!
Quickplay is hard to find, and there are other dumb apps with the same name. No link.
BattleLAN v0.5 - TCP/IP game tool allows internet games to play as if on local network.
BattleLAN is all over the place, but seems to have no readily noticeable home. No link.
AVG Free - Free Antivirus Software. Does a LOT for free. Paid version has support.
VideoLAN - Plays tons of video types. Also streams video files over a network.
CPU-Z - Reveals info about your CPU and a bit about your memory.
Picasa - Cool Google photo tool. Can apply edits to a photo and keep the original. GREAT.
SimpleDivX - Great little DivXing tool. Handy for shrinking large video files to a handheld.
Gimp - Amazing free Photoshop-like program. Steep learning curve. Powerful app, tho!

I'll add to the list over time. Maybe provide a side link.

1 Comments:

At January 24, 2006 4:08 AM, Blogger Avatar Ng said...

Tools/sites such as "wht is my IP?" can easily track your outgoing IP.

Outgoing IP is required to play BattleLAN.

By Avatar Ng

 

Post a Comment

<< Home