Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I love disc golf. Back in the late 90's, some friends at college told my wife and I to grab a frisbee and meet at a particular tree on campus. When we got there, they mapped out for us an insane series of stunts to run a frisbee through. This became our golf course. Among the feats we were to achieve, we had to land the discs in a small sandbox, hit a huge knob in an old campus tree, pass through a playgound tube, and generally attempt to avoid nailing students in the head along the way.
We even had the "front 9" and the "back 9" laid out with a diagram. Eventually I graduated from the frisbee to a finders-keepers official style disc I acquired on a trip to Georgia.
For the "Folf"-unaware, disc golf entails throwing a disc down a course into a basket (pictured, although not my throw shown here; my throw would probably not be visible). You play the game a lot like regular golf, although you should lose a lot fewer projectiles. :D You track your throws like you track your strokes in golf; the fewer the better.

I'm starting to increase my list of played courses, and was able to try out a newer set of 18 holes at Farragut State Park recently when our church held a campout there. The original course is very rugged, and I managed to turn disc golf into an extreme sport by chewing up my arm with a tumble down a mountain. Ok...maybe it was a hill. The course isn't called the "Wreckreator" for nothing. I managed to pull out a +3 (amateur) on this course, one shy of the lead (I'll get you, Adam!!!). The new 18 holes are known as "North Star", and are much shorter and open. I managed to pull within two of the lead on this one, blowing a shot at the title on the 17th hole. (Again, Adam...)

I'm playing just about every other day at work now, as well. The college I work for has a 9 pin course right along the edge of campus. All the trees have their branches trimmed up quite high, so it is like throwing a disc through a field of erratically-placed poles. I swear that tree bark has some kind of magnetic relationship with plastic.

Last score anywhere: Par.
Favorite hole I've played: The Water Tower

1 Comments:

At September 12, 2006 10:18 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

Wait--when I approved this sport, I didn't know that one could break oneself in the pursuit of folfing excellence.

Will our insurance cover that?

Thanks for not mentioning the dismal lack of folfing skill displayed by yours truly, and for letting me play with you anyway. I will officially hang up my Frisbee when both of the kids pass me up, which should be sometime next week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home